15 Minutes of Fame
Fiddle-dee-dee and Golly Gee–Little ol’ me has been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award. Hard to believe, but thanks so much to Heather at “The Homestead at Spring Creek” for seeing something worthy in my blog and nominating me for this noteworthy award.
I don’t consider myself a writer. I’m always amazed when friends tell me how much they enjoy reading my stories and compliment me on my writing style. Several years ago, I started compiling little llama stories based on the antics of my small herd of llamas to amuse our patrons on my web page: www.twincreeksllamas.com
Then a year ago, practically to this day, I was made redundant. This is the Brits clever way of saying that one has been laid off, is no longer necessary. How deflating and demoralizing! With more time on my hands, I decided to start writing about the many interesting and humorous things that happen around our farm; the llamas, our dogs, the chickens, peacocks, and various and sundry wildlife that abound on our acreage.
Primarily directed to my Facebook friends, my blog was getting a handful of hits daily and I was plodding along in relative obscurity and anonymity. Then one day last week, my email inbox was flooded with comments on my blog. I was perplexed until I read a comment congratulating me on being “Freshly Pressed”. For a whole day I felt like a celebrity. I had a few thousand views on my blog, and several hundred complete strangers read my story and said they liked it. I had scores of new friends that subscribed to my blog and then a few days ago, one of my new friends kindly nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. But this award doesn’t come without some obligations. There are rules to be followed.
First I am to thank the person that nominated me. Second, I am to tell you 7 things about myself. And Third, I am to nominate 15 of my favorite bloggers to receive the Versatile Blogger Award and to notify each of them that they have been nominated.
Heather, once again, thank you for enjoying my blog enough to nominate me for this award.
Now 7 things about myself:
1. I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and own and operate a llama trekking business. We do day hikes in the state park and the llamas carry a “trail gourmet” picnic lunch. Best of all, you get to lead a llama along the trail and pour out your innermost secrets. They are great listeners and very non-judgmental.
2. I am nearly 60 years old and just recently decided to come out of the closet. About playing the accordion, that is. I majored in music in college, and accordion was my first instrument as a child, but from college on, I was embarrassed to admit that I was an aficionado of the squeeze box. The stigma was best exemplified by Gary Larson in one of his “Far Side” cartoons. The first frame was a picture of the pearly gates, and a new arrivee was receiving his harp. The second frame was a picture of hell, and the newly damned was receiving his accordion.
3. I mow a lot of grass. We have about 15 acres that I keep cut, and it takes me about 20 hours to cover it all. I equate it to painting the Golden Gate Bridge. By the time I have made one circuit, it is time to start over again.
4. I do some of my best thinking while riding around on my mower. While listening to classical music on my iPod, I do some amazing writing on my brain’s note pad. But then when I sit down to put my genius to paper, I can’t remember all those perfect phrases.
5. I love animals with a lot of hair. I’ve already mentioned the llamas. We have 2 dogs, a bearded collie, and a new Goldendoodle puppy, both with lots of long hair. My husband even felt the need to conform, and several years ago, grew a beard.
6. I enjoy doing crafts. After achieving redundancy, I decided to devote my full time to the farm and needed something else constructive to do and to hopefully bring in a little extra income at the same time. I like using the llama fiber in various projects and am knitting scarves, needle felting animal sculptures and have signed up for a crochet class. I also make jewelry and polymer clay figures. I sell my designs on my Etsy shop.
7. I enjoy target shooting. In fact, earlier today, we attended the Nation’s Gun Show where I purchased a Smith and Wesson .22 revolver. I can’t wait till the rain stops so that I can try it out on our shooting range.
And the 3rd rule is that I nominate 15 of my favorite blogs to be nominated for the VBA. Now this is tough for me, for as to date, I haven’t taken the opportunity to read or follow many blogs. There are just a few that I have discovered recently that I have really enjoyed and think that they are deserving of the nomination. So I will list them here. Now I just need to let them know that they have been nominated.
This has been fun. Now, time to feed the llamas.